Skip to main content

Puur La Trappe


There are not ill words to say about trappist beers in general, but I am not used to drink them a lot, as there are not many brands sold here in cold north, and definately not in groceries - until now. This is actually a grocery-sold beer with only 4,7 % vol alcohol, so nothing like Chimay or Duvel here.

Smell is really good, indeed. I guess that hops and yeast fill the air with this very flowery odour. Head looks nice, but it is not there after couple of minutes. Taste is trappist-like, but very light compared to the earlier mentioned big brands of trappist (which are very heavy on alcohol too).
Colour of this beer is very light. Aftertaste is a bit yeasty, but hops are well tasted too. My only problem with these trappists would be the yeast, that usually is quite non-visible, but as this is very light in colour, it looks like yeasty as well. It would be nice to see this beer have some sugar in bottle, as I guess that yeast would slightly vanish and be replaced with alcohol. Then this would be strong, but maybe then not so full of yeasty, trappist aroma.

So, the verdict. This smells lovely, tastes quite good, but is not my favorite kind of beer. I give this big plus however and it comes from the word "organic" as I tend to like my food and drinks without any toxins used while grown. This is organic unfiltered trappist, and if you insist on having trappist but with less alcohol than in the big and tasty brands of Chimay and Duvel, this might be a good choise after all. This is Dutch, by the way, not Belgian.

I hope that those little bits of yeast or whatever don't cause my stomache go boom boom the following night and day :)

*** OK

Comments