Skip to main content

Mallaskosken Kuohu Valioluokka Pils

When I was starting my beer blogging career, Mallaskosken Panimo was in my books maybe the best Finnish indie brewery. It's spearhead product was Kuohu Amber, which was at the time maybe the one beer I had drunk the most for a long time. Then I just got bored of it. Now Mallaskosken Panimo is back! They made two of these "premium class" (Valioluokka) beers, and this is just first of them, Pils, which I did not expect to be this fucking good. Another one is stout, which will be maybe the first widely spread Finnish grocecy sold stout. I'm really waiting to have that one.

What about this Pils then - isn't this just one poor copy of the greatest Czech pilsners or some German counterparts? Well, this is Finnish Pils in its greatest. There are not those esters dominating the taste, like in the classic Pilsner Urquell. This is soft, creamy, like "mother's milk" if you will. Everything is in great balance. There is not that awful metallic sense that ruins almost every industrial bulk lagers taste. Malty stuff, but not too sweet nor dry, just perfect balance and drinkability. This is good with food (tested), when you are thirsty (tested) or having more than couple of drinks (tested). Good basic Pils, but still great in its simplicity.

**** Great

Comments