Skip to main content

Westmalle Trappist


Original Belgian Trappist with yeasty and powerful (at least with 9,5% alc vol) taste. At first it does not seem very aromatic or wonderful though...maybe Trappist lovers can get more out of this, but I find this actually a bit dull. There are flowery first bite which soon however twists in the mouth to be some kind of odd yeasty sweetness, then bitterness. This is maybe a Trappist characteristic, but otherwise it seems to me to be more of a bubbly wine with odd odoeurs.

But hey, this is beer. And it's Belgian tradition to do these maybe a bit odd beers, which are the best for some, but maybe not me. Only exception might be Chimay Blue, which I adore. Still I have to say, that I respect this kind of craft beer, which doesn't let you easy, by no means. And, this grows as it is enjoyed, and that's always a good thing. This has potential and I'm not gonna refer to this as "just drinkable", because it's more of a beer for enjoying, not just drinking.

And when you are patient enough, this beer gives you are nice, warming sensation and you you can still aftertaste those flowery yeasts. That gives a sensation of a beer to be let it show its potential to the last drop and even after :)

*** OK

Comments