Skip to main content

Tuborg Green


Actually I'm used to call this Grön, but nowadays it comes with this new international ”green” brand, which is also familiar in Carlsberg brand. Actually Carlsberg owns the traditional Tuborg so that there is only one huge beer brewing corporation in Denmark.

This is very light lager. Head goes away soon. And the taste...well, this is bulker than bulk. If that is even English :)

There is still a bigger meaning for me, when Tuborg Grön is mentioned. It was back in 1992, when I was 17 yo, full of life and went with my class on a trip to Denmark. I was actually a non-drinker then (which is nice, because with my drinking habits, there would have been maybe more severe consequences if I had started the bad habit earlier in my life – like many teens used to, and still use to nowadays, at least in Finland), so it all was a great adventure for me. When we boarded on Silja Line (or Viking Line, who remembers, the floating drunkard-disco-giants look all the same inside), there was my first crazy drinking session of perhaps two or maximum of three IVB class beers (actually quite strong beer of 8% vol), which our older classmate bought. After one of those, I was already pissed and the evening went in an exploding blast of youth madness :D

When we arrived in Denmark, the heaven waited us. There was a grocery in the hotel which sold us beer – and it was Tuborg Grön. In hotel room there was an empty fridge (?), which was not empty for long – soon it was filled with Grön bottles. It was mad, sweet and wonderful – all at the same time. We even got pints in bars! We were astonished, because in Finland at the time, it was all regulations and ”show me your papers” and stuff. Actually I discovered only recently that Denmark has quite different law than our Finnish one. There it is legal to buy alcohol at the age of 16 (above 1.2% and below 16,5%), but in the bars there is the limit of 18 yo – which still is only a purchasing limit, so an adult can buy alcohol for a minor.

So, we were in Denmark and we were in beer-drinking heaven as 17 yo Finnish teens. There were also great record shops in Copenhagen, so I bought many Detroit house and acid house records on my trip there. Oh, those days of innocence. So, the verdict: Not so great beer, but great memories of drinking this beer.

** Drinkable

Comments