Skip to main content

Chimay "Blue"


Chimay is an authentic Trappist beer. It means, it is made in monastery by the monks. Monastery gets it upkeep mainly from the sales of Chimay beers ("Gold" or Triple, "Red" and "Blue"), but also gives revenue to social aid. So more people drink Chimay, the more they can help - I wish there was similar kind of monasteries in Finland, where man could go to volunteer his life to make great beers :D I'm not so much into religion and stuff, but I raise my hat to those monks.

This beer is uniquely Belgian. I love the aftertaste. This is not some "drink when you are thirsty" -beers, but more like for moments of peace, relaxation, enjoyment. Maybe this could be a dessert after great meal - or any great activity. Taste is so full of flavor and after a distinctly yeasty and bit of sugary first bite, mouth and tongue are tickling with this lovely taste. Head shows, that there is sugar in this beer and it has also more alcohol in it (9% vol) than the average beers. Still it is dangerously easy drinkable - at least for me, as a beer enthusiast. I don't know what else to say: I love this beer. I rarely drink this though, because Finnish system is based on alcohol monopoly, Alko, which is the only shop, that can sell Chimay or many other great beers (and wines and so on). There are only two Alko-shops in my home town and I visit them rarely, as they don't sell anything else than alcohol. Only if alcohol level is 4,7% vol or under, beer (or any other alcohol) can be sold in normal groceries. Also there is a huge price raise, when beer is imported or has higher level of alcohol than those lagers in basic groceries. You can buy 12 pack of basic 4,7% vol beer at the price of ten euros, but Chimay is always 3,99 euros / bottle.

One Chimay, and I'm a bit drunk already. That maybe the only not-so-good thing about this great beer :)

***** Absolutely fabulous

Comments