Skip to main content

Sandels


Olvi beers have their distinctive taste (I have named it "metallic" of some kind), which I regrettably am not very great admirer, as Olvi is still nowadays the only big Finnish brewery that still is Finnish and not own by bigger multinational corporations.

Sandels, brewed since 1971, is named after (folklore-)warhero Johan August Sandels, a Swedish soldier and officer, who fought against the Russians in Finland, Savonia, 1803-1808 and gathered fame by winning battles like in Koljonvirta, Iisalmi (hometown of Olvi breweries) against multiple times heavier Russian forces with his Swedish (and eventually also Finnish forces - though Finland was only one of Sweden's provinces by that time and later a province of Russia...) army of Savonia Jäger regiment.

Sandels is light and soft lager and well-known and respected lager brand in Finland. I actually have these two nice Sandels-glasses, which I use quite often in my reviews also :) So, there is a respect for Olvi and Sandels, but still I'm not a great friend of its taste.

** Drinkable

Comments