Skip to main content

Holsten Premium


I don't know much about German beer, but I know, like every beer enthusiast I think, that Germans are a beer drinking people. Their Oktoberfest is worldfamous happening with sausage, traditional clothing and music - and of course the huge pints. They are also known (at least by beer enthusiasts) for their Reinheitsgebot, "German Beer Purity Law", which is a bit odd code (because of its strickness) for making real beer. It is originally from 1516 and does recognize only water, barley and hops as the ingredients of beer. (Still the first thing that comes to my mind from German beer is wheat, which I don't like very much.) It is also said, that Reinheitsgebot led to the extinction of many traditional and local German beer specialities, which is a shame. It is still abided by some German breweries, though it has had many revisions through the years. So, that is German beer culture - big pints and strict rules.


This beer, Holsten, has one special meaning for me, as its brewery was for many years a sponsor for my beloved Tottenham Hotspur, London-based football team. I remember those as my early years of Spurs-fandom, when the lilywhites played with HOLSTEN written in front and so the name of this beer (and brewery) was forever etched in my memory. So, is this even good? Light lager, quite bulk. Gebraut nach dem Reinheitsgebot. Well, I'm into more dirty things than this.

** Drinkable

Comments