Skip to main content

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock


I thougth I'd end this great beer year of mine with this special beer from Germany. I'm not a big fan, or not even a tiny fan of German beers, and I remember this being quite odd or not for me at least, when I last had this (must have been years ago)...This is a smoke beer and I don't necessarily like anything smoked. But I like beer - and beer enthusiasts usually like this beer. So, let's give it another chance - at least I have a better perspective now after this years magnificent journey around the beer world of different beer tastes.

Aroma is unbelievably strong - as opposed to many other beers. There is so much smoke (and ham, I'm afraid, as I'm a veggie :D), that this reminds me of some times around the fire. Taste of the beer is actually quite mild compared to the aroma, but the aftertaste is smoky all right. Head goes away quite soon, which is a bit disappointing, but maybe this has that much aroma, that it doesn't matter. It has a nice feel in mouth, but the smokiness overwhelms in aftertaste and drops some points in my book - but yeah, I can understand, why this beer is appreciated. Definitely one of the best German beers!

*** OK

Comments