Skip to main content

Birra Venezia Birra San Marco

Friend brought this as a souvenir from Venezia, Italy, where he and his wife were celebrating their anniversary. Nice gift, though (of course) I was first a bit suspicious, because my first thought after seeing the bottle was “oh my, is this another strong industrial lager…”

Oh boy, was I wrong. Very, very nice strong ale feel, almost like sniffing a barley wine, though not that strong. Specs I copied from net: 8,6% ABV, yeast is Saccharomyces Cerevisiae, hops used are Tettnang and Spaalt with four kinds of malts: Monaco, Pils, Caramunich and Carafa.

Taste is full, warming, sweet but not ugly sweet. Malty, fruity feel (dried fruits) and enough hoppy bitterness to give drying balance to the sweetness. 

Have to admit I was positively surprised but this is a brewery with historical background and they make only this strong ale and pils, so they definitely have put some effort in these selected beers. If you want some great strong ale, choose this!


**** Great

Comments