Skip to main content

Westvleteren XII



So, I had my 40th birthday and spent a very nice weekend in Hell



sinki with my sister and her lovely family. I also met my dear old friend, ate well, went to a fucking cool rap-gig - and bought some beers from Alko Arkadia. I thought I’d buy all the Stone brewery beers I could find, but I did not buy any :/
 
Got just some odd ball stuff, I’ve never earlier had. Like this gem of a beer – at least by its reputation.
Belgian (warrior)monks are maybe the best brewers in the world. They might not have any holy powers to help in the process, but they sure have traditions, history and all the coolest ingredients.
Pours glass darkish brown. Huge head, which is very thick and stays and stays forever. Scent has yeasty flowery stuff in it, some sweetness and plum too. Maybe even perfumishly flowerlike scent :)
Taste is at first kinda soft, then more bitter, very nice tickling on top of the tongue, aftertaste very warming and releasing all kinds of yeasty magic. There are kind of a barley wine sense of portwine-like sweetness and warming alcohol. Very, very nice.
 
This is a slowly enjoyable beer with trappist monk magic in it. Very pleasant and almost easy-drinkable, but still very interesting too. This is not perfect, but what is. I’ve only had half of 330ml bottle when I write this and already this seems to be a classic on its own. Don’t believe the hype – taste it yourself and decide. 
Definitely one of the best Belgian beers in the world.
**** Great


Comments