Skip to main content

Interlude: Complexity of beer reviewing

Is it complex, is it hard? Well, beer reviewing is easy, if you love beer – or as I say, you are “a beer enthusiast”. But, its difficult, if you want to review it in a way, that you can say an honest but still open-minded opinion of the beer in hand/mouth/throat. It is easy to say “this smells like shite” or “this has a wonderful taste”. Only problem is, that it doesn’t mean anything. You need reference to say such nonsense. If some poor lonesome wanderer comes to my beer blog and reads/watches one of my stupid and non-informative reviews, he/she might say: “what a stupid wanker” or in some cases even “hmm, interesting, should I try that beer too…” 
But by reference I mean that you should become acquainted with the reviews and/or person, you are reading a review from. Otherwise its just a one night stand with no future. And you might either lose a possible love of a lifetime or escape from a horrible shit for a reviewer.
I’m not saying anything here, I’m a nobody in beer reviewing world and I like it, but still, after hundred and more reviews, I started to think that maybe there are people, that read my reviews and start to get a picture of what kind of beer I, Jimbo, like. Just when you get to know me and my likings more, it is possible to get some useful tips and maybe cross-reference your own personal interests and find out if something might be worth testing, if you haven’t.
One likes mother, one her daughter. One likes meat medium, one doesn’t eat meat at all. One hates sweet beer, but eats candy. World is a diverse place. Beer world is part of it.

Its fucking hard to review something you love, unless you are always honest. Sometimes it might be necessary to say things like "for a beer, this is a disgrace" or "this might be the one beer to take to a deserted island". As necessary it is just to say: I love beer over any other drinkable stuff on earth and try to find good and best ones in the midst of the jungle of bulk beer hell.

Here beerlover has just had his first dose of happiness :)

Comments