Skip to main content

Saimaan Brewer’s Special India Pale Ale (2nd review)

I may have promised 45 reviews this December from my summer-winter review archives, but obviously some of them were the same beers and some reviews were never even done, like my fist ever Estonian beer...but well, maybe next year. So, let's make it 45 all-in-all before the new year, because promise is a promise is a promise.

Here's actually a beer I reviewed in January among the first reviews this year. Then I thought this was great. So one of the first and The last beer of this beer year is at hand. Let's pour can in glass...quite light brown, yellowish, a bit hazy look. Head is thick and nice. Smell/scent is quite lame, but it's because the beer was in my cellar and a bit too cold. Maybe this is not too fresh either, I'm not sure, the last use date is in summer 2016, but who knows what that means. That this was made in summer 2015? Aromatic hops aren't gonna last that long...

Also, I have a tiny flu, so this is definitely not an optimal smelling situation. Taste buds work however: What a hoppy bitter taste! It's like tongue tingling bitter at first and very dry and almost off-puttingly bitter finish. Another big sip of bitterness and well, I could use some malty sweetness also. Maybe some freshness and overall balance too. I'm sorry, but I have to as honest as I always try to be: This beer is just not for this occasion. Only Drinkable. I should have something to eat, some spicy and grilled, so that the bitterness could cut the edge of spices and spices cut the edge of bitterness. There's a time and place for every beer, you know. I'll have another go with this, sometimes.

If you bothered to drink, erm, I mean read this through, then Happy New Beer Year 2016 everyone and drink responsibly - only great beers!

Comments