Skip to main content

Belhaven Twisted Thistle IPA



 

Long time no beerblogging. My 90-day stint from drinking (not a rehab, though) any alcohol was successful. After that I have been mainly living my everyday family life, but also drank some beer. First I was in a gig in one of my home towns’ liveliest music bars, Rock House Kulma. Kajaani-based Jari Rättyä was there with his band performing magnificent Finnish folky blues. Not being particularly a beer enthusiast heaven, I mainly drank Brooklyn Brewery’s American Ale which is my favorite drink in Kulma and a great session APA. I also had one Brooklyn East India Pale Ale, but it’s English vibe lost a mile to American Ale’s nice citruslike hoppy freshness.

 

But yeah, I also had a night with my Gentlemen’s Club dudes, but you might guess what shit karaoke bar served. Although we were at Czech styled Hospoda Koruna the main part of the night, I didn’t drink any Czech beers, and there wasn’t many highlights beerwise. Only new beer for me in Hospoda was this Belhaven’s IPA, so let’s finally get to the reviewing part:

 

Scottish hoppy ale on tap. Scottish ale with Cascade and Challenger hops. It feels like a British/English/Scottish bitter/IPA, but hoppy bitterness is a nod to American IPA style. Slightly toffeish and buttery mouthfeel. Hops stick their bitterness on top of my tongue. 

 

Easy drinkable, quite enjoyable, although aftertaste is a bit thin. Something nutty (nuts are also buttery), toffee candy, but with a hop leaves crunching -feel. I didn’t mention flavors as I don’t sense them a lot, but maybe the bar atmosphere, my stuffy nose and not-so-fresh-ale (keg was emptying) have done their deeds. Still an OK beer, though a little bit too sharp because of carbon-dioxided mouthfeel (which in other hand increases the easy-drinkability).

 

*** OK

Comments