Skip to main content

Interlude: Backwoods beer writing



It’s been a while since I updated this blog or even made a review. First there was my honest try to cut down my drinking alcohol – which is almost 99% of the time beer – and then there was summer. I’ve not become an absolutist, but the abusive use of alcohol had to end. I’m fortunate, that I’m a “beer drunk”, as it is still a mild alcohol drink, but maybe it was those words from one woman earlier in the spring, when she described her ex as “an alcoholic, who only drinks beer”. This might not be very popular topic in beer drinking community and I detest all kinds of moral condemning when it’s the adult people’s own choise how and when and what he/she wants to drink (or inhale or whatever). Still, it’s important for me to acknowledge that drinking beer is not just harmless hobby, when you can’t handle the alcohol in it. Still, I love beer. Drink of the people. I hope I can form a new relationship with my beloved beer – a civilized and not-abusive way of enjoying the best drink there is.

So, I had chances to review some summer newbies earlier, but I also had the pleasure to be with my dear old friends, so we just had good beers and I left reviewing to another occasions. I had a fun idea to do a collaborative video review with my old good friend – let’s call him “Olvi-man” – but it didn’t happen (it would have included "Trooper"-beer by Robinsons, because Olvi-man is a known Iron Maiden fan, but I had it then with other dude later, and it was traditional and a bit sweet toffee-tasting English Ale). At last when my summer holiday started, I had a chance to review the Norwegian treats from the great Nøgne Ø (reviews to follow this post).

Because this blog is still in English, I want to include some beer writing of others that still have something to do with Finnish beer scene as I live here, in the backwoods. Here’s one interesting article about our lagerish beer scene in general and the challenges/difficulties craft beer brewers face here in Finland. Related to that (or not), you can check out the Olvi-man’s contribution to the beer reviewing scene :)

Comments

  1. Just tasted my first Trooper. It's good. Can't taste the toffee though. Tomorrow, Iron Maiden live! Woo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Iron Maiden rules ok! Had to listen to it myself today, even though I can't join you as there is this tiny 550km journey between me and the gig. Today I saw one dude buying only one thing in our home town's CityMarket: One bottle of Trooper. I hailed him and he said, that he must "get to the feeling" as he was tomorrow traveling to Helsinki to enjoy the gig.

    Btw, maybe you had your Trooper colder than I and that could explain the missing toffee (or caramel sweetness). I had my bottle with another bro, I had it in my cellar (maybe 10+ celsius warm) and then it was also a warm day and we had our pints of Trooper in the blazing sunlight at our front yard, so it became a bit warm and maybe then the sweetness was more noticeable. Should try it again and have a proper review done. Maybe this weekend I will, listening to greatest Maiden songs in the backround.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment