Skip to main content

Interlude: Jimbo’s Beer Year 2013

Oh, what a year. In 2013 I drank probably more good and great beers than ever. However, I also realized that I have to get help and try to cut my hobby to a healthier level. Beer enthusiasm does not equal to alcohol abuse, my friends.


Here’s a list of all the “**** Great” beers of my blog in 2013. I use this 1 to 5 star system in my “rating”, however I usually only use 1 to 4 stars and 5 star beers are rated as “Jimbo’s classics”. Maybe I should simplify the rating and compare this system for example with 5-50 system. One star beers usually are shite, compared to some 5-15 points in that scale. Two star beers are drinkable, but almost every beer is, so there is nothing special about them; ranging from 16 to 25 points. Three star beers are OK and they are usually good or even very good, but lack something to be reckoned as Great; ranging from 26 to 35 points. Four star beers are Great and they can be even suberb; from 36 to 45+. 


 

Jimbo’s Great Beers enjoyed in 2013
(in alphabetical order):

AleSmith Horny Devil Ale     
AleSmith Speedway Stout     
AleSmith YuleSmith     
Ballast Point Calico Amber Ale     
BrewDog Cocoa Psycho     
BrewDog Dead Pony Club     
BrewDog Goldings     
BrewDog Libertine Black Ale     
BrewDog Tokyo     
Brooklyn East India Pale Ale     
Founders All Day IPA     
Fuller’s Vintage Ale 2013     
Green Flash Barley Wine     
Green Flash Double Stout     
Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale     
Hop Ottin' IPA     
Horn Dog Flying Dog Barley Wine     
Laitilan Kievari Portteri     
Mallaskosken Kuohu Valioluokka Pils     
Malmgård Huvila Oak Porter      
Maui Brewing Big Swell IPA     
Mikkeller Porter     
Mufloni IPA     
Nokian Keisari 66     
Nøgne Ø / Bridge Road India Saison     
Nøgne Ø Red Horizon 2. edition     
Nøgne Ø Two Captains     
Plevna Siperia     
Rooie Dop Utrecht Strong Ale     
Sambrook’s Wandle     
Sinebrychoff & Brooklyn Two Tree Porter     
St. Eriks Pilsner     
Stadin American Pale Ale     
Stadin Panimo Ultimator     
Svaneke Skore Elg     
Tripel Karmeliet     
Westvleteren XII    



For all the Great ones, I would like to mention a few specially good ones according to their styles ->

Best APA: Nokian Keisari 66
 

Best IPA: Brooklyn East India Pale Ale
 

Best Pils: Mallaskosken Kuohu Valioluokka Pils
 

Best Lager: Svaneke Skore Elg
 

Best Belgian: Westvleteren XII
 

Best Imperial Stout: Plevna Siperia
 

Best Porter: Mikkeller Porter
 

Best Strong Ale: Rooie Dop Utrecht Strong Ale
 

Best collaboration: Sinebrychoff & Brooklyn Two Tree Porter



This year 2014 has begun differently than earlier ones. I’m on a 90 day alcohol free hiatus (day 33 already), so no beer for me now. I don’t like alcohol free beers as they tend to be fabricated ones, not really brewed like beer should be. I’m not sure, how I’m gonna continue from 90 on, but I’m sure there will be beer for me this year too :)



But back to beer loving business: I have listed all the Great ones and the personal best ones in some different styles, and last but not least I would like to make my TOP 3 list for 2013 – three beers I won’t ever forget. Two of them I would definitely want to try again sometimes (although it might be difficult to have them) and one stays in my all-around-the-year beers list.




Jimbo’s 2013 Bronze Medal: Rooie Dop Utrecht Strong Ale
A surprise TOP 3 Beer of the year, even for me :) It just rocked!

Jimbo’s 2013 Silver Medal: Mikkeller Porter
Absolutely wonderful porter. And I’m a fan of Great porters!
Best of Danish Little Big Brewery Master, Mikkeller!

Jimbo’s 2013 Gold Medal: Nokian Keisari 66
Best session beer ever!



Great Beer Year 2014 for ya'll Beer Lovers out there!

Cheers, Kippis!

Comments