Skip to main content

Interlude: Gateway theory of a beer blogger - or enthusiast, if you will


In Finland we call it "porttiteoria" and in English it goes by the name Gateway theory which means roughly that first you use substance a, then it leads to b and so on. The theory itself deals mostly with so called "steppingstone substances" (mainly pot) that (allegedly) eventually cause people to go to heavier stuff, but I'm not going deeper into that shit. If you wanna get high, you wanna get high, simple as that.

But, in a viewpoint of a beer lover, an enthusiast, and some kind of sorry beer blogger it just came to my mind, that I need to write about this, because of the way that varieties of the beer world and the craftbeer movement have opened up my eyes (and every other sense linked to beer enthusiasm) and there is no turning back to piss, I used to drink earlier. I was just taking a dump, when I googled with my cell other beer blogs and one old review of Arde's came through, don't know why. It was about Finnish Sinebrychoff's Karhu Ruis (an old review from August 2011), which is a dark industrial lager, but unfiltered and pumped up with rye. Now, Arde hated even the thought that they use the word "beer" when marketing and selling that watery stuff to us Finns, but some of you might remember, that I, however, "fell in love" with that beer.



This happened in the early days of this blog and if I look back, I have given worse reviews for the beers that are actually better, because my scale (* = shit, ** = Drinkable, *** = OK, **** = Great and for the special personal legends ***** = Absolutely fabulous) does not have many options for basically good beers, and nowadays its almost always *** OK, when beer has nothing wrong with it, its good, but it does not blow my mind and be **** Great. Why the fuck I did then give Karhu Ruis **** Great rating in August 2011? Read all about it and decide.

I now think, that I was just untrained to review that at the time, but let's not forget my mission: Every beer deserves a story. There is a long time bond with me and Karhu lagers, because in the old days we just compared one piss lager to another and Karhu was my favorite. Nowadays its like the gates of beer heaven have opened and I've been sitting in beer hell for most of my adulthood, because I don't drink those piss lagers anymore if I don't have to.

You have to remember that I'm not actually good at analyzing beer, just using my instinct and my personal at-the-time feeling to give a comment on beer's enjoyability, aroma and taste in general.





My personal gateway-process - and in this occasion, it has really been growth and a very positive thing! - in beers is visible in this blog, but I still find some unique aromas or flavors so nice, that I don't mind for example the lack of complexity or body or balance or whatever, if I have a feeling, that I love the aromas or flavors of particular beer. I am, however, quite certain, that the review in question, the Karhu Ruis -review, will be remembered as my emotional fuck-up :) I think I will do a comparative battle via some interlude tasting session, where I get some *** OK and maybe even some ** Drinkable beer along with Karhu Ruis to understand the gateway-process of mine from basic lagers (and occasional Pilsner Urquell or Duvel) to the world of different tasty beers.

Comments