Skip to main content

AleSmith Speedway Stout



This is Speedway stuff all right - black motor oil pours in my glass making a dark brown head. Aroma promises roasted malts - as expected - and some sweetness - maybe not necessarily expected, as Nøgne Ø's Imperial Stout looked the same but was mainly like burned coffee, and I don't recall such sweetness in its aroma.

Very, very thick mouthfeel with lots of burned malts, definite black chocolate vibe and sweetness, but this is not like dry burned coffee at all (compared again to Nøgne Ø's Imperial Stout, that many liked, but I didn't cherish that much), and at first this tastes awfully too much at the same time, but the aftertaste is a little easier (to absorb, if you know what I mean - easy drinking is not a high praise worth indicator). This would be absolutely great with something to eat...but I'm not eating anything. Maybe cheese would be great. Or some dry cake. Sausages. This is not - at first at least - salty and liquorice in my opinion, so maybe some salty rather than sweet to eat.

This is so fucking thick in mouth, and it has that small "ugh" feeling at first (I don't know if that's the right word, but I mean that, it has maybe too much of all the shit and its really like used motor oil, but not of course in a bad way, but maybe actually some liqueurs have that same of kind of feeling, when theres too much sugar, so I guess, this has lots of it somehow) but it is still only the first bite of every sip. Aftertaste is much more mellow and good. This has potential to be whatever...

Bottle is 750ml so I have time to write my review in long term now and notice the differences, when it gets warmer (I took it from my cellar, which has maybe 5-10 degrees celsius temperature, maybe less in the floor, where this was).

There is not much noticeable hoppy feeling, this is malt dominated beer, nicely burned and black and chocolate and a bit sweet, like good espresso with a sugar added in it. Alcohol level is 12%. In the bottle there is a recommendation to leave yeast in the bottle, which I never do. Let's see how the last pint is gonna taste, that will be interesting.

But yeah, I'm learning beer tasting by having this huge Imperial Stout. This is more like some porters than stouts, or maybe there is not such bordeline there: Porters and Stouts are within the same "beer family", actually.


This is like a perfect winter night beer. I was in a funeral today. My last grandparent died. My children are with their other grandparents whose relative did not die. My grandma was old and suffering from many illnesses, so it was her time and she died at home sleeping, so it was a good way to die. I ate too much in the commemoration and was in a emotional rollercoaster. Earlier in church at the open casket I apologized my grandma for not visiting her lately and not seeing her at all with my kids for years. That's sad, but life. Life goes on in kids. I hope my own kids will remember me when I'm gone, and they will surely remember their grandparents, who are so fucking important to them, as I rely on them weekly in excuse of being a single parent, but mainly because I need my space and want to enjoy life also by bad habits like drinking excellent beers. [I have to say this: I'm sad that I can't be in charge of my own funeral, I would play lots and lots of great music as a DJ and drink the greatest beers, but it's no fun to be dead and not be in THAT party, where they all love you :D] And thats what I do now. I came back from funeral, wanted to go to sauna, but opened this beer instead. Now I'm getting this lovely warming sensation and at the same time many aromas and tastes dance in my mouth. They might dance with death, but my two oldest boys promised today to carry me in my coffin (or rather in a casket full of my ashes), and I don't want it to be too soon for them to be a) too hard, too heavy and b) too sad, too traumatizing. I wanna fuckin live and love! And be there with my sons and daughter.

Well, back to reality. This might not be the best Imperial Stout there is. Stone's Russian Imperial Stout might be slightly better. And that Plevna's Siperia 2010 Hanniku definitely was. This is still great and by no means loses the earlier mentioned masterpieces, but this is great in its own, great beer, and I don't fucking need to judge or review or rate anything. Drink this and judge for yourself (In Europe this can be bought in a rather expensive price for example in BrewDog webstore).

**** Great

Comments